Your Dogs Health Are You Innocently Feeding These Seven Foods That Could Kill Your Dog

The Resource for Everything About Dogs


Your Dogs Health Are You Innocently Feeding These Seven Foods That Could Kill Your Dog

by Sandra Bailey



Since diet is the foundation to your dog?s health, you want to feed the best diet possible. I for one believe that the whole foods raw diet is the best. It consists of raw, organically raised meats and organic fruits and vegetables. By feeding this quality food to your dog, you will improve his health, quality of life and extend the length of his life. But along with knowing what is best to feed your dogs, you must also be aware of what NOT to feed your furry companions.

The old saying is true ? you are what you eat. If you feed poor quality dog food to your dog, his digestive system will bear the consequences. The organs that are affected are the liver, pancreas, kidneys and skin. The liver and pancreas are affected as part of the digestive system and the liver, kidneys and skin as part of the elimination system. The most damaging thing about the majority of dry commercial dog foods on the market today is that they contain toxic dyes, chemicals and preservatives. Those toxins build up in the body and over time cause damage to the liver and kidneys.

The number one killer of dogs today is cancer. In 1997, oncologists from Colorado State University?s College of Veterinary Medicine published diet recommendations to help combat cancer. Since cancer cells thrive on sugar and create lactate as a waste, they recommend excluding lactate-containing and glucose-containing fluids. The lactate poisons the dog by depleting its energy, making it weaker. So, limit sugars and simple carbohydrates. A diet that can meet the anti-cancer recommendations is a homemade species appropriate diet. That diet is the whole raw foods diet.

The 1997 study also provided knowledge of some other foods to avoid.

Chocolate ? I hope that you already know to never, never, NEVER feed your dog chocolate. It contains theobromine, which is toxic for your dog. It also contains caffeine which is a nerve irritant. Your dog can go into a coma and die from eating chocolate.

Sugar ? Sugar in whatever form, is addictive, causes damage to the pancreas, and depletes the body of vitamins and minerals.

Dairy products ? Milk has foreign hormones and lactose, which is a sugar. Most dogs do not have the lactase enzyme that is needed to digest lactose.

Grain ? Dogs do not need the carbohydrates in grains for nutrition and energy. Fats and protein in a natural dog diet provide the fuel that your dog needs. Grains break down into sugar in the body and they can also add to many health problems. They can cause your dog to have skin allergies, hot spots, bloating, ear infections, joint problems, and digestive disorders. Some vets believe that they weaken the immune system and the pancreas.

Raw Salmon ? Be careful in feeding salmon. In fact, it is better and safer to give your dog Norwegian Salmon Oil. Salmon poisoning is an infectious disease caused by a parasite fluke on salmon. Although it is mostly found in Pacific salmon, it can occur elsewhere.

Onions ? Raw or cooked, one quarter cup of onions can make a 20 lbs. dog sick. Onions cause toxicity by oxidizing hemoglobin in the red blood cells. When this happens, it forms clumps in the red blood cells which prevent them from carrying the oxygen that is needed. These small clumps are called Heinz bodies and when veterinarians see them, they strongly suspect onion toxicity. The signs of onion toxicosis are the same as anemia and low oxygen in the body ? lethargy, weakness, red urine, decreased stamina, and pale or bluish gums.

Raisins and Grapes ? Can cause toxicity in dogs. Some dogs may never be affected, but for the ones who are, it is best to avoid feeding to any dog. Some dogs will develop kidney damage within the first days of eating grapes and/or raisins, which can lead to kidney failure and death. So, it is in the best interest of your dog to avoid this food altogether. If you dog should accidentally eat grapes or raisins and have a reaction to them, their first reaction will be vomiting. Get them to a Vet immediately in that if they are treated early, they can recover. At this time, it is not known what the toxin is.

I hope that you find this article helpful, and that it has helped raise your awareness that not all foods that may be good for you are appropriate for your dog?s health. Many can cause very severe health problems. By avoiding potentially dangerous foods, and providing healthy foods, you can add to the quality and joy of your dog?s life.

I wish you the best of life for you and your dog.

Sandra Bailey, who has raised dogs for over 50 years, is the author of ?Real Dogs Don?t Eat Kibble!? She has shown Papillons for 20 years, is a member of the National Center for Homeopathy and a Professional Member of the Animal Wellness Association.

She is the owner of the website http://www.TheNaturallyHealthyDog.com and blog http://TheNaturallyHealthyDogSeries.blogspot.com



Return to Index







.

Cannot find it here? Search the internet with the power of Google:
Google